Thursday 27 February 2014

Creative Reasoning

     So usually I tell stories that either happened to me, or happened to someone I know, but this week I was thinking a lot about this story that is actually more of a parable.  So I thought I'd share it.
     There once was a man standing at the top of a very tall cliff.  There was also a tree at the top of the cliff.  He was leaning with one arm up against the tree and gazing out at the incredible view when suddenly an unexpectedly large gust of wind came along and threw him right off the edge of the cliff.  In that moment of terror he fell and flailed his arms and legs helplessly.  Miraculously his hand caught hold of one of the roots of the tree on the top of the cliff that was protruding from the cliff face.  He took a minute to calm himself down, realizing he was still alive, and then looked for what to do next.  After surveying his situation for a little while he realized he was pretty stuck, there was no way of climbing up, and no way of climbing down.  He did the only thing he could think to do, he prayed.  God answered his prayer and he had a short dialogue with God.  The conversation went something like this;

Man: "Can you help me get back on top of the cliff?"
God:  "Yes of course, but its a matter of if you are willing to accept my help.  I have a few questions first, do you believe that I created this cliff?"
Man: "Yes I definitely do!"
God: "Good, do you believe that I created the tree, the root of which you are holding onto right now?"
Man: "Yes I believe you created this tree."
God: "Ok, well do you believe that I created the gust of wind that blew you off the side of the cliff?"
Man:  (humbly)  "I..... Yes, I don't know why you created the gust of wind, but yes  I believe you created it."
God: "Do you believe that I could create a gust of wind that could push you back up on top of the cliff."
Man: (pause)  "Yes I believe you can."
God: "Ok then, let go of the root."

     This story illustrates a lot of principles and can be applied to a lot of things.  I wanted to talk about the creation.  I don't know how God created the earth, I know what it says in Genesis but I have no idea what that entails.  I don't endeavor to try to explain how God may have created the earth.  I have theories, but to me it isn't very important how God created the earth, but I think the question that is more important is why did he create it?

     Under the Direction of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ created the earth as a place for us to come and experience mortality.  Just like the man in this story didn't understand why God created the gust of wind that pushed him off the cliff, I don't understand all the why's to the creation, for example, I don't like mosquito's and I don't understand why God created them specifically.  But I know that the creation was for us, it was done because God loves us and wanted to give us this opportunity, to give us somewhere to come and experience mortality.  While in this life we don't remember our pre-earth life.  We must walk by faith, not by sight.  Just like the man is asked to let go of the root and exercise trust in God, we too must often exercise trust and from showing that trust, our faith will grow because God will keep his promises to us.  A humble perspective with trust in his purposes will help us focus on the important questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment